Microbiology and Virology Research Group
Share this story:
This research group in the Vaccine Therapeutics and Development Lab focuses on the vaccine development, antimicrobial resistance, virology and phage therapeutics. Various molecular and microbiological techniques are well established in this lab for conducting several projects relevant to viruses and pathogenic and non-pathogenic bacteria. The group train its researchers about the basic, intermediate and advance level techniques to conduct almost every kind of microbiological research.
DETAILS OF GROUP MEMBERS:
Dr. Saadia Andleeb (Microbiology and Virology Research Group)
My group focuses on the antibiotic resistance, phage therapy and genomics perspective to understand the host-microbe/pathogen-interactions and mechanisms of virulence. We are interested in analyzing the genome sequences of MDR/XDR/PDR microorganisms to understand the physiology, behavior, disease, and variations between species and individuals. The group is engaged in projects of microbial genome sequencing, assembly, and annotation, followed by comparative microbial genomic analysis of these resistant isolates.
Focus of the Research Group:
● Analysis of the antimicrobial resistance of highly resistant strains
● Metagenomics/Whole genome sequencing
● Bacterial Biofilm and associated infections
● Drug targets and vaccine therapeutics
- Sidra Irum
- Sidra Rahmat Ullah
- Kashaf Khalid (2018)
- Zomia Naqvi (2018)
- Dissemination of β-lactamases amongst Multidrug-Resistant Pseudomonas aeruginosa and Acinetobacter baumannii isolates from Medical Surfaces of Pakistan and United States
- Surveillance of antibiotic resistance genes in clinical and water isolates
- Multidrug-resistant pathogen surveillance in Pakistani and U.S. hospitals (Pak-US, HEC-US National Academy of Sciences)
- Development of vibriophage cocktail and its testing in animal model (NRPU-HEC)
- Antibiotic resistance profiling of hospital and water isolates to trace the source of multidrug resistant nosocomial infections (TWAS-COMSTECH)
- Bacteriophage therapy against biofilm forming bacteria (HEC-IPFP)
- Silencing of the antibiotic resistant gene mecA in S. aureus by a synthetic non coding sRNA (Co-PI, HEC-IPFP)
Grants & Awards:
- Research Productivity Award (2016) by PCST-Government of Pakistan
- Best Researcher Award (2016/17) Awarded by Atta-ur-Rahman School of Applied Biosciences, NUST, 2017
- Productive Scientist of Pakistan (Overall) in Biological Sciences (2017). Awarded by Pakistan Council for Science & Technology (PCST), 2018
- Young Productive Scientist of Pakistan (under 40), in Biological Sciences (2016). Awarded by Pakistan Council for Science & Technology (PCST)
- Secured first Position in International Conference on Advances in Waste Water Treatment and Reuse, 11th -13thNovember, 2009, University of Tehran, College of Engineering, Tehran, IRAN.
Selected Research Publications:
- Andrew J. Gasparrini, Jana L. Markley, Hirdesh Kumar, Bin Wang, Luting Fang, Sidra Irum, Chanez T. Symister, Meghan Wallace, Carey-Ann D. Burnham, Saadia Andleeb, Niraj H. Tolia, Timothy A. Wencewicz & Gautam Dantas (2020). Tetracycline-inactivating enzymes from environmental, human commensal, and pathogenic bacteria cause broad-spectrum tetracycline resistance. Communications Biology, 3(1), 1–12.
- Mahnoor Majid & Saadia Andleeb (2019). Designing a multi-epitopic vaccine against the enterotoxigenic Bacteroides fragilis based on immunoinformatics approach. Scientific Reports, 9(1), 19780.
- Alaric W. D’Souza, Robert F. Potter, Meghan Wallace, Angela Shupe, Sanket Patel, Xiaoqing Sun, Danish Gul, Jennie H. Kwon, Saadia Andleeb, Carey-Ann D. Burnham and Gautam Dantas (2019). Spatiotemporal dynamics of multidrug resistant bacteria on intensive care unit surfaces. Nature Communications, 10(1), 1–19.
- Kate E. Wardenburg, Robert F. Potter, Alaric W. D’Souza, Tahir Hussain, Meghan A. Wallace, Saadia Andleeb, Carey-Ann D. Burnham and Gautam Dantas (2019). Phenotypic and genotypic characterization of linezolid-resistant Enterococcus faecium from the USA and Pakistan. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, 74(12): 3445–3452.
- Muhammad Ibrahim Rashid, Sammia Rehman, Amjad Ali and Saadia Andleeb (2019). Fishing for vaccines against Vibrio cholerae using in silico pan-proteomic reverse vaccinology approach. PeerJ, 2019(6), e6223.
- Muhsin Jamal, Saadia Andleeb, Fazal Jalil, Muhammad Imran, Muhammad Asif Nawaz, Tahir Hussain, Muhammad Ali, Sadeeq ur Rahman and Chythanya Rajanna Das (2019). Isolation, characterization and efficacy of phage MJ2 against biofilm forming multi-drug resistant Enterobacter cloacae. Folia Microbiologica, 64(1), 101–111.
- Robert F. Potter1, Alaric W. D’Souza, Meghan A. Wallace, Angela Shupe, Sanket Patel, Danish Gul, Jennie H. Kwon, Wandy Beatty, Saadia Andleeb, Carey-Ann D. Burnham, and Gautam Dantas (2018). Superficieibacter electus gen. nov., sp. nov., an Extended-Spectrum β-Lactamase Possessing Member of the Enterobacteriaceae Family, Isolated from Intensive Care Unit Surfaces. Frontiers in Microbiology, 9(JUL), 1629.
- Waqas Nasir Chaudhry, Jeniffer Concepción-Acevedo, Taehyun Park, Saadia Andleeb, James J Bull and Bruce R. Levin (2017). Synergy and Order Effects of Antibiotics and Phages in Killing Pseudomonas aeruginosa Biofilms. PLOS ONE, 12(1), e0168615.